This is a big list of things I'm considering for the near (and far) future:
First, some reasonable ideas.
- Adjustments to the new stats and difficulty settings as they come up.
- Fix a few known broken things, like magic descriptions in the ring menu (these can crash the game currently--it's a side effect of my generating the weapon ones for the randomized weapons)
- A few minor enhancements have been suggested, like renaming the mech riders so you know which one's which.
- Add in the missing bosses. Most of them (the wall, the slimes) require a special arena.
- Fix vanilla glitches, like the reflect experience glitch used in Shade's palace in the run, and the item trashing/other ring menu glitches.
- A couple new tilesets. Namely the witch's castle exterior, and a town one. More will follow later. These things take forever to create and polish since it's basically a whole new procgen algorithm for each, just to keep things interesting.
- Additional room types for the mana fort interior tileset.
- Replace "Mana Magic" spell with something new for each character. Maybe a new saber effect and/or an HP regeneration status spell.
- Have "Speed up" make you move faster and improve attack recharge (and charge?) time.
- Maybe a Santa NPC with random gifts.
- Faster weapon charging for earlier levels if it's a higher level.
- If you open a chest and can't hold the item inside, don't remove the chest.
- People have suggested having a gamble of sorts that you can choose to use. Vanilla SoM has a dummied item called "?" that I'm considering adding to my drop tables. Using it would give a random effect. I'm thinking of things like the following:
- +/- Max HP, MP, other stats "permanently"
- Refill all characters' HP/MP
- All characters to 1 HP
- Half current gold, double current gold
- High-damage nuke to all on-screen enemies
- Random negative status condition to all characters
- Random buff to all characters
For the "permanent" effects, I'd have an NPC you could pay to reset them. I'd also like to have a little icon on layer 3 (near the floor number and clock) for each that indicates which are active.
- "Endless mode" is a thing that I'm still thinking about, where the objective is just to get as far as you can before you get wiped out. This will require rewrites of a few core things to make work properly (mainly that I use the current map number as the floor number indicator, and the maps will need to repeat while the floor# continues to increase), so it's probably not coming soon.
Also, some sillier ideas.
- Some others and I have been experimenting with transforming players into enemy sprites just for fun. This is still a long way from working properly, but something like "play as a rabite" may be something silly that shows up later as an option.
- I'd still really like to work the black rabite concept from SD3 in somewhere, and possibly track Nuclear Fusion (the primary boss theme from SD3) for where it appears.
- Randomize the moon phase in the ending scene. Normally this is semi-random from three choices at the end of a vanilla game. I don't know what factors affect it, but ancient cave ones are always the "3/4 moon" for some reason.
As always, suggestions are welcome.